Screen (Film and Television) Trade Mission to New Zealand – March 2024
Deadline: September 29, 2023
In collaboration with the New Zealand Film Commission and WIFT-NZ, Ontario Creates is organizing a Canadian Trade Mission to New Zealand in March 2024. Valued partners on this initiative include Creative BC, Telefilm Canada, the Indigenous Screen Office, and NZ On Air.
This Trade Mission seeks to foster strong connections between Canadian and New Zealand screen producers, with a primary focus on coproduction and partnership opportunities. This Call for Applications is open to all Canadian producers.
Activities will include a Canada Summit organized by WIFT-NZ (March 16-19, 2024) with thought-leadership from screen executives, presentations on coproduction, incentives and B2B meetings. The Canada Summit will be followed with optional opportunities including a visit to Wētā Workshop and/or Wētā FX in Wellington, attending the Māoriland Film Festival (March 20-24, 2024), or a familiarisation tour and producer networking opportunity in Christchurch.
Plan to arrive in Wellington, NZ (via Auckland) by Saturday, March 16 with departures any time after March 21. Selection Process: Up to 20 Canadian producers will be selected to join the mission. The Indigenous Screen Office will be actively involved in producer selection with a goal of achieving at least 50% participation from Indigenous producers.
• Previous experience in international coproductions or international markets
• Suitability of your current slate of projects for New Zealand partnerships/market
• Clear rationale for participation including your interest in forming partnerships with New Zealand producers
How to Apply:
Interested producers should submit an application here by 5:00pm ET on September 29, 2023.
The following information is required:
• company bio highlighting success in international markets;
• a personal bio for the producer participating in the mission;
• an overview of current projects including, as appropriate: title, description, target market, format/platform, status of distributor/broadcaster involvement, stage of development, and alignment with the mission’s goals; and
• a statement outlining your interest in and objectives for participating in the mission
Selection and Support:
Selection will be decided by early October 2023. Producers selected for the Trade Mission will be offered financial support towards expenses (amount TBD). While producers will be responsible for their own travel arrangements, its essential to be available for in-person sessions in New Zealand from March 17 to 21, 2024.
Additional Opportunity (Ontario and BC producers only) :
During TIFF 2023, interested producers can learn more about the Trade Mission and network with New Zealand producers and Trade Mission partners at a lunch event on Saturday, September 9. Spaces are limited, please express your interest here by August 25 if you are interested in attending. We will notify selected participants by August 30.
For further information, please send an inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline for this trade mission is September 29, 2023.