Manager, Business Affairs
The Canadian Media Producers Association is the national advocacy organization for independent producers, representing hundreds of companies engaged in the development, production, and distribution of English-language content made for television, cinema, and digital media channels. We work to promote the continued success of the Canadian production sector and to ensure a bright future for the diverse content made by our members for both domestic and international audiences.
The CMPA is currently seeking a dynamic, talented and experienced Manager, Business Affairs to join our Toronto office (currently remote). Business Affairs is responsible for providing advice and services to CMPA members and staff with respect to all aspects of the business affairs of CMPA member companies. Details are found below.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The following is a list of key accountabilities for this role.
- Provide broad-based advice and services to members regarding business affairs matters, including but not limited to production budgeting, financing and recoupment and relationships with distributors, platforms and broadcasters, business operations, rights clearances, insurance, marketing and audience engagement;
- Assist members with day-to-day business affairs-related enquiries;
- Liaise with various other stakeholders on business affairs-related matters of interest to CMPA members and the broader industry;
- Support National and British Columbia industrial relations teams in collective agreement negotiations and other industrial relations matters, as required;
- Represent the CMPA at a variety of panels and events, as required;
- Undertake research and analysis in support of files and initiatives as outlined above;
- Support CMPA communications such as website resources and composing Notes to Members regarding business-affairs, as required;
- Document management for files and committees including minutes and note-taking, preparation of materials, background and input on files as requested;
- Coordinate meetings and events originating from the Business Affairs department, including all related logistics (accommodations, travel, meeting rooms, catering, audio-visual, etc.);
- Such other duties, generally consistent with the job description, as may, from time to time be required and assigned by the Senior Director, Business Affairs or Chief Operating Officer.
The following competencies and skillsets are required for this position:
Education & Experience
- Industry-related post-secondary diploma or certificate from a recognized Canadian institution, or a Bachelor of Arts degree from a recognized Canadian university;
- Minimum of five years of experience in a business affairs-related position at a production company, or a Canadian production financier such as a fund, broadcaster;
- Experience in physical production (live-action or animation) considered an asset.
Skills & Capabilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of development, project financing, production planning and strategies, program sales and marketing plans, and business plans for launching and operating an independent production company;
- Possesses an understanding of the global marketplace, distribution models and revenue sources for Canadian audiovisual content;
- Has superior collaborative, interpersonal, and verbal and written communication skills;
- Able to build and maintain positive and effective working relationships with internal and external parties;
- Able to adapt to changes in priorities, process, systems and organizational structures;
- Has high standards of ethics and confidentiality;
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively;
- Experience in customer service or in working or serving in a member-based organization;
- English (written and spoken) essential;
- French (written and spoken) considered an asset;
- Willing and able to travel, as required.
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Business Affairs, and collaborates with other leaders and functions across the CMPA.
LOCATION: Full time position based in Toronto, Ontario. Remote work-from-home/ office hybrid schedule until COVID restrictions are fully lifted.
The CMPA is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in our organization and in our work. We welcome all applicants, and in particular applicants in equity-seeking or sovereignty-seeking groups.
Accommodation for those requiring accessible alternatives is available on request for applicants taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please submit a resume and cover letter (essential for consideration) on or before October 15, 2021 at 5 p.m. ET (extended deadline) via email to Chris Kelsey, Lead – Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Application – Manager, Business Affairs.