Director, BC Industrial Relations
The Canadian Media Producers Association – BC Producers Branch represents over 130 BC-based Canadian independent producers engaged in the development, production and distribution of English-language TV programming, movies and digital media content. The Industrial Relations team is responsible for negotiating and administering the BC motion picture collective agreements on behalf of our members, and providing support to members and industry in production related matters such as health and safety, sustainable production, workforce development, and business and industry affairs.
We are seeking a dynamic individual to join our BC Industrial Relations Team in the role of Director, BC Industrial Relations supporting the VP, BC Industrial Relations and the BC bargaining committee in the preparation and management of collective labour negotiations, including research and member consultation, drafting of bargaining documents including proposals, memoranda of agreement and contracts. Outside of collective bargaining, the Director is responsible for the administration of the labour agreements and is the primary contact for BC Industrial Relations inquiries.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the Vice-President, BC Industrial Relations in the development of strategies for collective bargaining, including consulting with members on issues and concepts.
- Lead in the drafting of bargaining proposals, memorandums of agreement, and collective agreements.
- Lead the coordination of negotiations in Vancouver and assist in other jurisdictions, as required.
- Support the BC Industrial Relations committee and CMPA-BC bargaining committees including preparation of materials, and other support, as required.
- Participate on national IR and sector-level files and committees, files, and special projects (i.e. sustainable production; equity, diversity and inclusion).
- Manage related IR and sector-level research projects for the Branch, including budget preparation and reporting.
- Lead in the outreach to members respecting labour relations matters as required.
- Respond to member inquiries concerning labour relations, employment standards, and BC collective agreement issues.
- Supervise the set-up, creation and maintenance of all industrial relations records including detailed bargaining notes, file systems for collective bargaining, grievances and arbitrations, and other IR related files.
- Supervise and maintain production and other IR related lists, as appropriate.
- Coordinate the tracking of union grievances and issues, and assist in the support for members during the grievance and arbitration process.
- Keep abreast of industry trends and identify issues and opportunities for members.
- Draft communications to members concerning industrial relations news and updates.
- Support on health and safety related initiatives including providing advice to members on related subjects.
- Build strong relationships with union representatives in order to support labour relations stability within the motion picture industry.
- Address issues with the unions as they arise, including matters outside the collective agreements.
- Represent the CMPA-BC on the BC community affairs committee, and other industry committees as assigned.
- Attend events to promote and raise awareness of CMPA membership.
- Coordinates with National Industrial Relations team to ensure a consistent approach to industrial relations matters.
- Supervise CMPA-BC Permittee membership processes.
- Assist Vice-President, BC Industrial Relations in other duties as required.
- Assists with CMPA-wide initiatives as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned and in keeping with the level of the job description.
REQUIRED COMPTENCIES AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in collective bargaining, business affairs or contract management, human resources management, or employer administration is required.
- Previous experience in the film and television industry and the subject areas of sustainability and/or equity, diversity and inclusion, are an asset and will be considered with the requirements above.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Must possess excellent business communication skills (oral and written) in the English language.
- Must have superior skills with Office Suite such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Knowledge of CRM systems is an asset.
- Strong Relationship Building
- Strong advocacy skills
- Pragmatic problem-solver
- Excellent Facilitation and Negotiation Ability
REPORTS TO: Vice-President, BC Industrial Relations
LOCATION: Full time position based in Vancouver, BC. Remote work-from-home/office hybrid schedule until COVID restrictions are fully lifted.
The CMPA is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in our organization, and in our work. We strive to create a workplace that honours a diversity of lived experiences, perspectives, abilities and identities, and to foster and maintain a working and learning environment that is inclusive and equitable. We welcome all applicants, and in particular applicants from equity-seeking or sovereignty-seeking communities.
Accommodation for those requiring accessible alternatives is available on request for applicants taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Interested applicants should apply through our CMPA careers website at: https://cmpa.bamboohr.com/jobs/ on or before July 4, 2022 at 5 p.m. PT
Note: Interviews will commence immediately with qualified applicants until the position is filled.