International treaty co-production
International treaty co-production is an important avenue through which Canadian producers tap into international financing and talent to create films and television programs with international audience appeal. The Government of Canada currently has co-production agreements with 53 countries. These agreements permit Canadian and foreign producers to combine their creative, technical and financial resources to co-produce films and television programs, which benefit from national status in each co-producer’s country.
International Treaty co-productions are governed by agreements, with specific requirements:
- Must be approved by Telefilm Canada and the recognized authority in the partnering country
- Minimum financial participation by each partner is required
- Investments/costs incurred in each country must be proportionate
- Balance between the financial, technical and artistic contributions of each country has to be achieved
Canada has entered into official co-production treaties with the following countries:
Republic of the Philippines
Yugoslavia (Serbia and Montenegro)
For official treaty co-production guidelines and to access agreements, please visit the Telefilm Canada website.
Where there is no official co-production treaty, Canadian producers can co-produce with non-Canadian companies engaging in a CRTC Co-venture. These productions, while they do not qualify for Canadian-content tax credits, they do qualify for production services tax credit and as "Canadian content" for broadcast.
- Canadian producers must have equal measure of decision-making responsibility over all creative elements
- Canadian producers must retain 50% financial participation and a 50% share of profits
- Foreign co-producer can own 100% of copyright
For more information about the Canadian Program Certification Process, please visit the CRTC website.
Why co-produce with Canada?
- High-standard, full-service production & post-production facilities
- Experienced and highly-skilled production crews and talent
- Variety of financing sources across the country, including federal and provincial tax credits
- Physical and cultural proximity to the United States
- Excellent location services and diverse locations/landscapes
Vice-President, Corporate & International Affairs
1- 613-688-0950 / 1-800-656-7440 x337